Q: I have to give my dog medicine and use the pill pockets. Do you happen to have a recipe that I could use to make my own?
A: Jodi Chick, a freelance writer for Kol's Notes, submits this recipe:
- Peanut butter
- Oatmeal flour
- Coconut flour
- Mix the peanut butter with equal parts of the oatmeal and coconut flours.
- Roll the mixture over the pill.
- Only make as much as you plan to use in 3-4 days and refrigerate.
- Freeze the extra mixture in 3-4 day portions.
- 4 tsp and 2 tsp flour
- 2 level tbsp molasses
- 3/4 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp concentrated chicken stock or beef stock paste
- Put the flour in a bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Pour in the molasses, oil and stock paste. Blend with a fork.
- Apply a few drops of oil to your hands to keep the mix from sticking. If you use gloves, put the oil on the gloves.
- Mix until smooth and consistent. The mix will form a "putty" consistency. If it seems too dry, add more oil one drop at a time.
- To store the unused portion, coat the inside of a ziplock bag with oil to prevent sticking and place in the bag.
- The mixture will begin to firm up as it sits, so for best results use within the week.
- You can freeze it up to 2 months. Let it thaw 24 hours before use.
- Do not refrigerate.