Saturday, August 10, 2013

Pill pockets recipe for dogs

Do you have a hard time "convincing" your dog that he or she should take his medication? Try pill pockets that you make yourself!

Q: I have to give my dog medicine and use the pill pockets. Do you happen to have a recipe that I could use to make my own?


recipes pill pockets homemade


A: Jodi Chick, a freelance writer for Kol's Notes, submits this recipe:

Ingredients:
  • Peanut butter
  • Oatmeal flour
  • Coconut flour
Directions:
  • Mix the peanut butter with equal parts of the oatmeal and coconut flours.
  • Roll the mixture over the pill.
  • Only make as much as you plan to use in 3-4 days and refrigerate.
  • Freeze the extra mixture in 3-4 day portions.
She notes that soft cheese or canned dog food can be substituted for the peanut butter if your dog enjoys those ingredients more.

Ellen Cobleigh, founder of The Gourmet Greyhound, offers this recipe that she located in "Celebrating Greyhounds" magazine for "Pilly Putty":

Ingredients:
  • 4 tsp and 2 tsp flour
  • 2 level tbsp molasses
  • 3/4 tsp cooking oil
  • 1/2 tsp concentrated chicken stock or beef stock paste
Directions:
  • Put the flour in a bowl and make a well in the middle.
  • Pour in the molasses, oil and stock paste. Blend with a fork.
  • Apply a few drops of oil to your hands to keep the mix from sticking. If you use gloves, put the oil on the gloves.
  • Mix until smooth and consistent. The mix will form a "putty" consistency. If it seems too dry, add more oil one drop at a time.
  • To store the unused portion, coat the inside of a ziplock bag with oil to prevent sticking and place in the bag.
  • The mixture will begin to firm up as it sits, so for best results use within the week.
  • You can freeze it up to 2 months. Let it thaw 24 hours before use.
  • Do not refrigerate.
Do you have a recipe for pill pockets that you can share? Please submit it in the comments section below. You will get full credit for it!!

1 comment:

  1. I actually decided to make some peanut-butter pill discs (I put the pill in the middle of a relatively flat disc, rather than try to make a cup-pocket out of it, then form it all into a ball with the pill somewhere in the middle) and chose to use rice-flour with the peanut-butter.
    I simply combine equal parts of creamy peanut butter and rice-flour with a fork until well-mixed.
    Then I flour my fingertips, take a bit of mixture and dab it in the rice-flour, then press it into a disc (about 1/8th inch thick, I think) on parchment paper. I make a row of them (I increase the distance separating them as I add discs to the row) and fold the parchment paper up, then put the whole thing into the refrigerator.
    To ensure that my dog wouldn't easily discover that her treat was a home-made pill pocket, I gave her one balled up without anything in it, since, if she tasted the pill, she would sometimes spit out the 'Pill Pocket' brand pocket and leaving the pill on the floor. It worked like a charm.
    Nice to know I can make up to four days' worth at a time, though!

    ReplyDelete