A: Vegan treats contain no meat, no sources of animal protein, and no dairy products such as eggs, milk or cheese. Some dogs may need to limit their intake of these products for health reasons.
Dog treats are not meant to take the place of a meal. A full vegan or vegetarian diet for your dog should be discussed with your vet.
If you would like to make your own vegan treats for dogs, here is a recipe offered by Baron & Henry's Homemade Dog Treats based in Pembroke, Maine:
Peanut Butter Pumpkin Spice Vegan Dog Treats
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cup flour
- 1 and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
|Ingredients for Vegan Dog Treats|
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk the peanut butter, pumpkin, water, and oil together.
- Add in the cinnamon.
- Combine all the ingredients until the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add the flour and mix until well combined. It should be thick enough to roll out with a rolling pin and not stick.
- Roll out on a floured surface.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
- Place the cut out dough onto an nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15-30 minutes, depending on the size of the biscuits. Flip them over halfway through the baking time.
- Turn off the oven and leave the biscuits in for another 45-50 minutes to harden.