If your dog enjoys eating this fruit, let him! But in moderation, please. There are some dogs who insist on sharing their owners' breakfast banana, and others who wouldn't dare touch it.
Originally dogs were meat eaters. Over time and with evolution, they have become consumers of fruits and vegetables. However, their digestive tract does not function the same as a human being's and too many bananas can cause GI upset.
If he loves bananas, turn them into dog treats, like these "Banana Flops" made by Tammie's Homemade Pet Treats:
|Banana dog treats|
What you need:
- 1.5 cups oat flour (if you can’t find oat flour, blend rolled oats to texture of flour)
- 1.5 cups brown rice flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup water
- Pre-heat oven to 250˚
- Add all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well to form a dough. If the mix is too dry, add in a little more water.
- Roll mixture into small balls and place on a non-stick baking tray.
- Score each with a knife so they can be broken into smaller pieces when done.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn the oven off but leave the dog biscuits in to dry out - this increases the crunchiness.
- Let cool.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container to hold freshness.